I believe building software that people care about requires a careful selection of ideals. Over my career I've learned and re-evaluated my core assumptions. Today, I favour safe, statically typed languages such as Swift, Rust, Haskell and Scala. I believe the building of simple software is crucial at both an architectural and program level, as only simple things compose reliably.
Co-Founder at Cosmic Teapot March 2016 - Present
- Developed Timeglass, a timer app in Swift for iOS, Apple named it one of the "10 Best Apps of the Year" for 2016.
- Developed a time management app in Swift for iOS. Furthered development of Conflict-free replicated datatypes (CRDT) based synchronization library. Developed a customizable reporting engine and reusable React style UIKit components.
Contract Software Development - Mobile Synchronization Library for Jaidev Soin December 2015 - March 2016
- Developed a multi-master backend agnostic synchronization library in Swift.
- Adapted Conflict-free replicated datatypes (CRDT) for a general purpose mobile workload using Lamport wall timestamps, state based transfer and client side compaction.
- System verification was achieved through extensive property testing coupled with axiomatic reasoning.
Contract Software Development - Pricing System for World Nomads Group May 2012 - February 2016
- Developed a pricing decision support system for World Nomads Group to assist their travel insurance pricing strategy. Written in Ruby on Rails and Scala it features statistical reporting and pricing recommendations.
- Achieved repeatable deployments through Ansible playbooks.
Independent Game Developer October 2011 - November 2015
- Designed and developed games in Scala using OpenGL & OpenAL (through LWJGL).
- Developed forward and deferred rendering pipelines, AI planners, FK/IK animation systems, and linear algebra libraries.
Principal Software Developer at We Are Brand New January 2012 - November 2013
- Responsible for leading system design and development of incubator projects from conception through launch.
- Led development on OneShift, a site for connecting job seekers and employers looking for short term work using Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL and Redis.
- Led development on the launch of BetterBills (SplitIt), a private health insurance comparison site written in Ruby on Rails.
Software Architect at World Nomads Group October 2009 - September 2011
- Led development on "Ask a Nomad", a travel Q & A iPad app written in Objective-C. The app was featured by Apple, doubling the Travellr network's user base within the first two months. Developed synchronization engine to allow offline access to questions, answers and related content.
- Developed real-time question answering engine for Travellr in Scala.
- Developed the Natural Language Processing (NLP) capabilities of Travellr in Scala using a combination of pre-existing NLP libraries and custom features adapted to our locationally specific and question based content.
Software Architect at Insight4 October 2007 - October 2009
Software Developer at Insight4 February 2005 - October 2007
University of Tasmania
Bachelor of Computing, Bachelor of Commerce